Friday, July 13, 2012

Surprise Trip Yields Disastrous Results: Part 2 (Last Three Days)

A Note from the IBS - Boy:  This is part 2 in my series talking about a surprise trip I took over the last week or so. Part 1 discussed the first day of travel and the first day of apartment shopping. This part will discuss the latter three days.

Tuesday: Still Not Feeling Well 

Tuesday, the second full day of my journey, didn't go well at all. I woke up with tons of phlegm in my throat, reflux no doubt, and I felt more backed up than a stuffed pig.

Without having a bowel movement in over fifty hours, I realized that I needed to eat lightly. Also the fact that I was extremely nauseous helped aid my decision.

For breakfast I ate a bowl of Oat Bran cereal, again, followed by a toasted English Muffin with Casablanca tea. I decided to skip the prunes this morning since I had a fair amount the night before. And that was, in fact, the first poor decision of the day.

Despite abstaining from the prunes, I began to feel a little bit better. I was letting some gas out, belch and flatulence, and I felt a few pounds lighter. Maybe I was getting better. Maybe this dreaded disease went to the back burner for this particular trip.

Not so. It went from good to bad in a nanosecond, and I found myself lying on a bed for practically the whole day.

The worst part about this day was the fact that I didn't bring the right sized jeans. I wear a 30 waist, and I brought a 26 and 28.

For dinner, I chocked down a small piece of chicken and rice. Even though I ate pretty well throughout the day, my stomach still didn't like it all too much. I took an Allka-Seltzer followed by a laxative (it was time to get it out) and attempted to go to bed.

Attempted. But failed. Apparently sleeping on a floor with no wedge is bad for acid reflux. Who knew?

After two hours of struggling to sleep, I finally dozed off.

Wednesday: The Move

We, as in my family, found a nice town house yesterday and signed the lease papers last night. So, today was the official move in day. I, however, still wasn't feeling well; not well enough to help move. You may even say that I was starting to feel worse.

After getting a U-Haul truck from a local rental, me and my family busily started to pack the truck. The only problem was the intense heat. Trying to pack a truck and a Tahoe full of things when it's 105 degrees outside is not fun. 

Finally, at 2:00 p.m. we finished packing my sister's things and went to get some Chinese food for sustenance. My stomach felt extremely queasy, and I wasn't sure if I could keep the food down.

I did, however, and the food actually tasted quite good. Maybe this would help push the gunk out me.

Soon after finishing the meal, we traveled to the new town house and started unpacking the truck at around 3:30 p.m.. Despite the blistering heat, we finished unloading in less than two hours. And I was feeling well! Maybe all I needed was a little movement after a nice, large meal.

I again had a light meal of wonton soup for dinner, and took a laxative, antacid, and Allka-Seltlzer to fend off the pain. After spurts of severe nausea, I went to bed at 1:00 am Thursday morning.

Overall, it wasn't an awful day. However, I was both awaiting and dreading the trip back home tomorrow. I really wanted to get home and back to my usual routine, but I didn't know if my body could take the long travel.

Thursday: Traveling Back Home

I woke up feeling... alright. Not great, but not too bad either. I wasn't sure how nine or so hours trapped in a car would help my case, though.

All in all, the trip back home went fairly well, except for the last hour or two. I began bloating and getting gas pains, which I blame for eating Mickey D's again.

Fortunately, I made it back in decent health. I couldn't stand up straight without sharp pains, but that's not bad considering the circumstances.

Up Next: An Ode to stretchable underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment