Friday, July 6, 2012

Absolute No-No's While Struggling With IBS Part 1

 Note from IBS Boy: This is the first part of my "Absolute No-No's While Struggling With IBS" series. In this series I will discuss and reveal which foods cause me problems and which foods help alleviate the pain. Feel free to comprsie your own list in the comment section below.

Chowing down on ice-cream seems like an innocent task before bedtime, right? Wrong. Actually, I realize that any dairy product I ingest will cause me problems - no matter the time eaten. Whether I am lactose intolerant, I do not know. I do know, however, that diary products are notorious for inducing stomach problems. So, though I love my dairy foods, I have to abstain from them almost completely.

This got me thinking: what other foods give me stomach problems? Some stand out as pretty obvious, but there are quite a few that are harder to catch. Please join me while I comprise a list of them. Unless, in fact, you have something else you'd rather be doing. (If you do, I can't blame you; I get bored reading my blog, too.)


Red Flag Foods

There are some foods that wave a red flag. In other words, stay away from them at all costs. Foods that fall under this category are: dairy products (obviously), rice, tomato products, select red meats, and any food containing lemon juice.

Unfortunately, I have found out all of these the hard way. Needless to say the rest...

Red flag Beverages
 
Since I am too young to drink, or even care to drink for that matter, I can't tell you which alcoholic beverages to avoid. However, I have a fairly good grasp on which non-alcoholic drinks you should avoid. These include: lemonade, hot chocolate, coffee, milk itself, soda, and sweet tea.

You may be thinking: what beverages can he drink? Well, it's a simple question really. While I have had to eliminate drinks I enjoy, I have found some really healthy, beneficial drinks that actually help my IBS. Usually these include hot tea, sport drinks, fruit juice, and smoothies. Some people say that hot tea makes there symptoms flare, but for me, I get immediate relief upon ingestion.  

PS: If you have heartburn with your IBS like I do, and your symptoms begin to flare, I find it best to take an Alka-Seltzer and drink a nice warm cup of tea. More often than not, you will start feeling better in less than an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment